Post Graduate Diploma in Management in Canada is becoming a popular choice among Indian undergraduates.
Getting into PGDM courses in Canada is your chance to polish your existing knowledge, gain some practical skills and get ready for the job market.
In this article, we will answer all questions that you might have about pursuing PGDM courses in Canada.
- Why should consider it
- Top PGDM colleges in Canada – courses and duration
- Types of PGDM courses in Canada and what they entail
- How you can make a choice with SelectRight
- MBA vs Master’s vs PGDM
Why You Should Consider PGDM Courses in Canada
Understanding the scope and benefits of your course is step one.
You can get a PGWP in Canada after your PGDM
A common question that students have is, ‘will I be able to work after I finish my education?’
You can get a post-graduation work permit after finishing your PGDM. Because of the permit, you can work for any number of hours, anywhere in Canada.
Note – the PGWP will be approximately valid for the same duration as your period of study, up to a maximum of three years.
Getting permanent citizenship abroad has become a hassle for Indian students. However, because of your PGWP, you can gain invaluable work experience that can help you obtain Canadian permanent residence.
According to the ICRC’s publicly available data, Canada granted admission to around 356,875 international students in 2018. Out of those, over 107,505 students—roughly 30% more than in 2017—were from India.
You can apply for both an LMIA or LMIA exempt permit if you are eligible. You can even try for Canadian permanent residence.
Opportunities for specializations
A PGDM is usually a 1–2-year programme. You will be exposed to all management concepts.
There are many specializations available that can make you an attractive candidate to companies. A few popular PGDM specializations are Marketing, Finance, and HR.
Cheap but high-quality
A PGDM while valued in the market is cheaper than a Master’s. A Master’s can cost you 15 lakhs to 20 lakhs. A PGDM will cost you only between 7 lakhs to 15 lakhs. Additionally, Canada is also a cheaper country to live in than the U.S. However, it offers competitive educational value.
Moving abroad can be daunting because of the cultural shock. It can be hard to settle into new environments.
However, Canada has proven itself to be warm and welcoming. Students can participate in festivals from various ethnic groups throughout the year.
Top PGDM colleges in Canada
Your career will benefit greatly from earning a Post Graduate Diploma in Management from one of Canada’s many top universities. Here are a few examples.
|Popular PGDM courses
|Business Management, Hospitality Management, International Business
|1 – 2 years
|Thompsons Rivers University
|Human Resource Management, Marketing, Finance
|1 – 2 years
|University of Northern Colorado
|Digital Marketing, Human Resource Management
|1 – 2 years
|Project Management, Supply Chain Management, Business Insights and Analytics
|1 – 2 years
|Project Management, Digital Communication Management, Healthcare Management
Types of PGDM courses in Canada
There are different types of PGDM degrees available that can help you combine your love of management with your other interests. Gain hands-on experience in fields to gain practical skills and work on projects. Here is a list of popular PGDM courses and what they mean.
|Gain detailed insight into the business world at a global level.
|Learn how you can integrate medical knowledge with management.
|Gain practical skills to make a project into a reality step by step.
|International Business Management
|Handle human relations in complex work environments.
|Supply Chain Management
|Build your knowledge of how a supply chain works and the issues that surround it.
|Learn how to manage, analyze and solve both managerial and technical issues.
|Learn to manage the brand and identity of businesses and people.
|Interactive Media Management
|With the advancement of technology, bring your management skills into the world of interactive media.
|Digital Communication Management
|Gain the skills to think creatively. Build an inclusive environment and facilitate communication between different positions and branches.
|Learn about hospitality institutions like hotels and how they market and sell hospitality.
These are only a few of the many courses available in Canada. What you choose is extremely important because these courses determine what jobs you can qualify for. Hence, you need to pick wisely.
To pick the perfect college for you, you need to go through university pages, look at the different courses and then apply. Given the wide range of options, this seems like an impossible task.
You don’t have to do it alone. Seek the support of SelectRight.
Here is how SelectRight can help you.
- 500+ colleges/universities at your fingertips: You don’t have to go through each university’s page and click multiple links. Our database brings all your choices on one page.
- A community: At SelectRight, we have worked hard to create a community. Join our discord to interact with your peers, seniors and experts. Get answers, engage, network and find all the help you need. You can meet people who are in the university to aspire to be at.
- Attend exclusive live sessions: We curate high-quality webinars and events so that you can make an informed session about your PGDM. You can join for free.
- Easy shortlisting: We have made shortlisting easy. Simply press the like button and the university will be added to your personal shortlist.
- Exclusive scholarships: We use the shortlist to understand what colleges you are interested in. We use that to suggest exclusive scholarship offers for your PGDM yourself in Canada.
- An algorithm: Our algorithm takes into account more than 100 different factors. You will be matched to the best PGDM programs in Canada.
- University applications made easy: The Indian education system doesn’t require a Letter of Recommendation (LORs) and the Statement of Purpose (SOP). Hence, you might be unfamiliar with the process. These two components are extremely important for your application to succeed. To ensure that you do great, we have a team of experts who can help you
The best part is that all these facilities are free of cost. All you have to do is create an account and get recommendations.
Eligibility Criteria For PGDM Courses In Canada
- Depending on your course, you need an undergraduate degree in a relevant subject with at least 65% or more aggregate marks. A three-year bachelor’s degree is sufficient in most cases. If you were graded in CGPA, check the equivalent on the university’s website.
- Some courses may require you to have work experience of 1 or 2 years.
- You must take the IELTS/TOEFL exam. The expected scores are: IELTS: 6.5 and TOEFL: 550 (pBT), and 213 (cBT), 88 (iBT). However, if your undergraduate education was conducted in English, you can be exempted from the exam in exchange for proof from the university. E-mail the university to check.
- You might also need a GRE and GMAT score depending on your specific score.
- If you have 7-10 backlogs, you can still apply for a PGDM in Canada. The situation can vary depending on the college and case, so it is best to email the admission committee.
Cost Of Doing PGDM In Canada
The cost of doing PGDM in Canada is divided into four segments.
- Preliminary costs: These are costs that you have to incur. Like, application fees, TOEFL, and GRE exams. Each of these ranges around $100.
- University costs: This includes the actual tuition fees which make up a huge chunk of the cost. The fees vary depending on the university. However, the standard price is around 15,000 CAD to 17,000 CAD (8,00,000 INR-9,05,000 INR approx.
- Cost of moving: You have to spend on a study permit, work permit, flight expenses, travel and flight to move to Canada.
- Cost of living: This is what you will spend during your stay there. The cost of living mainly depends on the area that you are situated in.
Master’s, MBA or PGDM?
PGDM is often pitted against a Master’s and an MBA. Here is a table to help you understand how different the three post-graduate options are.
|1 – 2 years
|1 – 2 years
Mostly 1.5 – 2 years
|1.5 -2 years
|UG degree requirements
|Mostly 3 years of Undergrad
|4 years UG degree
|4 years UG degree
|35,000 to 90,000 CAD
|50,000 to 130,000 CAD
|80,000 to 200,000 CAD
|Other tests required
|8,000 to 20,000 CAD
Note- A PGDM is not equivalent to a Master’s. In comparison to a Master’s, a PGDM is more industry oriented.
A PGDM in Canada can be really beneficial for an Indian student. Regardless of whether you want to work in Canada or not, it is worth pursuing. It can open multiple doors for you professionally. It prepares you for the cut-throat environment outside school by giving you hands-on experience.
During your education, you can also explore interning opportunities which can lead you to full-time job opportunities and even a residence permit in Canada.
The average PGDM salary in Canada ranges from 50,000 CAD to 150,000 CAD per year.
With so many options and decisions to make, it can be a confusing choice. SelectRight can guide you through the process and make the job simpler for you.
Create your SELECT account today and apply for PGDM courses in Canada.