A recent survey by IDP showed that Australia is the 2nd most popular choice of study for international students, followed by the UK in 3rd position.
Hmm, what could be the reason behind Australia’s rising popularity amongst international students? Let’s see.
- The Australian government recently announced that it’s lifting caps on the number of hours students can work while studying. Limited work hours have always been an issue for international students who need to earn on the side to support themselves.
- A safe country for international students. Rising criminal rates have been problematic for many; thus, students are attracted to safe havens like Australia to study.
- Unparalleled support from their educational institution is also one of the top reasons international students prefer Australian universities.
However, despite all its virtues, there’s a catch. All international students must meet the IELTS Band requirement for Australia’s universities of 6.0 or above.
This article will explain the IELTS scores for Australia and the student visa for international students.
Top Reasons Why Australia is Dream Destination For Higher Education
1. Well-developed infrastructure for students
Many international students who choose foreign universities cannot afford private vehicles or even private doctors. So, to make it easy for students, Australia has well-developed public transportation that is very affordable.
Other factors that make Australia a good country are a well-developed communication system and healthcare. Every international student gets a due checkup, thanks to mandatory health insurance coverage during the visa process.
2. Easier Access To Visa Than Canada and USA
It’s well-known that getting a student visa from the USA can be a long, uncertain process due to its strict guidelines. However, in Australia, the process is much easier, and there are high chances you will get the coveted immigration status.
3. Gain Work Experience While Studying.
Australian government has lifted the restrictions on work hours for international students, owing to the labor shortage in the country. Although it may end next year, the Australian government cares for international students to have a good quality of life by making it possible for them to earn during hard times.
Moreover, the Australian education system emphasizes practical knowledge through internships and work experience programs. This makes it easy to become employable as soon as the course is complete, even before that.
4. One of the safest cities to study.
If there’s one thing that scares international students the most, it’s a crime rate! Seriously, being alone in a foreign country, surrounded by unknown people, is scary as it is. And high crime rates can be a cherry on top.
However, the good news is you need not worry. Because Australia is considered one of the safest countries to study. Australia scored 1565 points on the global Peace index, putting it in 25th place out of 195 countries. Moreover, students get plenty of safe and secure options, such as homestays, boarding schools, hostels, private rentals, etc.
5. Higher Employment Opportunities
Thanks to education that puts greater emphasis on work experience, the majority of students who graduate from universities are highly employable.
As a result, graduating from an Australian University or college will make you a desirable candidate in the eyes of potential employers.
Why Is IELTS Essential To Study in Australia?
IELTS, or International English Language System, is a famous language test that proves English proficiency. The IELTS exam is divided into two parts: IELTS Academic and IELTS general training.
While IELTS Academic, it is necessary to study in Australia. At the same time, the IELTS General Training module is taken for immigration and work purposes.
But that still doesn’t answer why Australia needs IELTS. Here’s why.
Australia is an English-speaking country. And like most English-speaking countries, Australia needs students to be proficient in English. To map this proficiency, IELTS is considered. The higher you score, the more chance of getting into a top Australian university. It’s also an important document to get a student visa.
IELTS Band Required For Australia’s Universities
Below, we have listed the band requirement for Australia’s most coveted universities.
|University of Melbourne
|University of Queensland
|University of Monash
|University of Adelaide
|University of Canberra
|University of Melbourne
Now the question is, Can a student with an IELTS band of 5.5 or below apply for Australian colleges? Let’s find out below.
Can You Apply For Australian Colleges With An IELTS Band Of 5.5? If Yes, Then How?
Yes. It’s not impossible, but challenging with a 5.5 IELTS score for Australia; however, you can enroll in some. You must meet “some other requirements” to get admission with a band of 5.5. So, what are those?
You might have read everywhere that you need a minimum of 6.0 IELTS score for Australia to consider your application. But did you know that few universities make an exception to this rule of“ minimum 6.0 IELTS score required for Australia ” you if you score a band of 5.5 on one of the tests, say, speaking or listening?
We have listed a few universities that make an exception to the “minimum 6.0 IELTS score required” for Australia are
- Trinity College – the University of Melbourne: Open for foundation courses like accounting, chemistry, physics, and design.
- Southern Cross University: Open to taxation, law, marketing, and communication.
- RMIT: Open for a foundation course in business.
If you are confused about which is the right course and university for you based on your scores and financial background, then SelectRight is a helpful tool. Its smart AI capabilities match your information to the most suitable college and course personalized for you. Give it a try.
IELTS Band Required For Australian Student Visa
|Engineering, Teaching, Medical Program,
|Nothing less than 7.0
|Nothing less than 6.0
|Minimum of 6.0 in each band
If you fulfill the IELTS band requirement for Australia’s student visa, let’s understand how to apply for a student visa.
Other Requirements To Apply For an Australian Student Visa
An international student has required a subclass 500 visa regardless of the course, duration, or travel they are applying for.
A subclass 500 visa ensures the smooth stay of international students at the Australian border. It is generally valid for five years from the date of acquisition.
Scope of Subclass 500 visa:
- Apply for the desired course in any desired university.
- Be accompanied by a family member in Australia
- All the dependents can apply with the main application for a dependent visa to travel to Australia.
Condition To Apply for Subclass 500
- You must be enrolled in any course or program.
- Must be above six years old.
- In case the age is less than 18, all welfare arrangements should be made a priority.
- Must have OSHA health insurance.
Documents Required For
- A proof of enrollment in your desired university or college
- A valid passport
- Your genuine temporary Entrant application
- Academic documents
- IELTS scorecard as proof of English Proficiency
- Proof of Financial Requirements
- Details of Health Insurance Policy
- Passport photographs.
Your work doesn’t end with getting a student visa. You will also need to maintain it to ensure it remains valid till the end of your stay.
- Score good grades and remain enrolled in your course. If you leave the course in between, your visa ends.
- Provide an Australian contact number and address to the university or college so they can contact you.
- Continue meeting financial requirements.
- Don’t breach any of the conditions.
* Please note, if you wish to change your course or qualification, you must apply for a new student visa, as the first one is invalid. For more information on Subclass 500 visa, you can visit the official Australian government site.
Find Your Dream University With GradRight
GradRight is a unique tool designed to help aspiring students find their dream universities in foreign countries, get education loans at competitive prices and get help with scholarships.
If you are confused about which Australian university or course is right for you, let us help!
Make Your Process Easy With GradRight In 3 Easy Steps
- Sign in to our college selector SelectRight.
- Complete your profile by adding all the details, such as name, scores, and academic background.
- Get matched with your dream university. No thousands of hours spent on research, no wrong choice. Only the best results.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q1. What is the significance of IELTS when it comes to studying in Australia?
Ans: Australia is an English-speaking country, requiring all students to be proficient in English to be a part of the Australian education system.
Q2. What is the maximum duration of a student visa in Australia?
Ans: If you pursue the course, you can only stay in Australia with a student visa. If you want to stay in Australia for longer, you should go for permanent residency, lasting five years.
Q3. What IELTS modules are required to study undergraduate and postgraduate courses in Australia?
Ans: You must take IELTS academic modules to pursue undergraduate and postgraduate courses in Australia.
Q4. How much is the required IELTS score for Australia?
Ans: The required IELTS score for Australia stands at 6.0 or above. But a few universities, Trinity College and RMIT, make an exception and consider admission with 5.5 bands in one of the areas.
Q5. What is the IELTS Band required in Australia for postgraduate courses?
Ans: The IELTS band required in Australia for postgraduate courses is 6.5, with a minimum of 6.0 in all areas.